Located on the shores of Lake Erie, the RSC is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization facilitating research, education, and collaborations with RSC members. The RSC is not directly affiliated with an institution, but instead is a consortium of institutions seeking collaborations in scientific research. Organized in 2004, the RSC moved into the research wing of the Tom Ridge Environmental Center prior to its opening in May 2006. Since that time, the RSC has been an active part of the scientific research community fostering numerous collaborations on a variety of topics.
The mission of the RSC is to promote and enhance our knowledge and understanding of the Lake Erie and Ohio River Basin ecosystems through research and education. The RSC accomplishes this by
- Facilitating collaborations among researchers, K-12 educators, and the community
- Providing centralized facilities and equipment
- Exchanging of scientific information through conferences, courses, workshops, and other public events
- Offering educational opportunities for students, researchers, and teachers
- Advancing the understanding of watershed-related issues
- Focusing on Lake Erie and the tri-state region
The Regional Science Consortium does not permit the charging of indirect costs; Since the RSC is a non-profit organization we do not permit indirect costs on requested non-federal funding opportunities.